Toggle menu

Applying for Planning Permission

Planning Applications may be submitted electronically via the Planning Portal. Once there you will be required to register to be able to submit applications and view any that you have previously made.

The Development Management section is able to accept documents associated with a planning application electronically, such as Site Layout Plans, Elevation Drawings, and Design & Access Statements, etc.  Applicants are encouraged to do so via the Planning Portal but these documents may be sent directly to the Council via email or on a CD.  Under these circumstances the documents must be in PDF file format, named appropriately, and accompanied by an index of documents submitted.

Every planning application needs a site location plan and block plan showing the location and boundaries of the site you are planning to work on. You can use the Planning Portal's 'Buy a Plan' service to ensure that you meet our requirements, whether you are a planning professional or first-time applicant.

Click here to "Buy a Plan"

In order to provide an overall more efficient service, for applications validated from 1st April 2013 we will no longer produce copies of the plans and supporting information for the Applicant/Agent with the decision notice. Please note that these documents will be available via the Council's Public Access website. Simply type in the application reference number and press search, and then go to the documents tab. The documents can be downloaded and printed in accordance with the Copyright Acts (Section 47, 1988 Act).

Notification of a proposed larger Home Extension

Legislation allowing larger single-storey rear extensions to be built under permitted development rules has now come into force.

Householders are able to build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development, subject to a neighbour consultation scheme.  

The size limits will double from 4 metres to 8 metres for detached houses, and from 3 metres to 6 metres for all other houses.

A homeowner wishing to build a single-storey rear extension within the new limits (i.e. if they extend between 4 and 8 metres, or between 3 and 6 metres) must notify the local planning authority and provide:

  • a written description of the proposal which includes the length that the extension extends beyond the rear wall of the original house, the height at the eaves and the height at the highest point of the extension. Apply on-line or download the paper form
  • a plan of the site, showing the proposed development
  • the addresses of any adjoining properties, including at the rear
  • a contact address for the developer (the householder) and an email address if the developer is happy to receive correspondence by email
  • the correct fee

For the extension to be allowed under permitted development it must accord with all other relevant limitations and conditions which apply to rear extensions, as set out in Class A. If the development does not meet all the limitations and conditions for permitted development then a full planning application will be required. Further information on the legislation, notification form and guidance notes can be found on the Planning Portal.

If you wish to submit a proposal and have any further questions regarding the process and requirements please contact the planning department on 02392 545461.


The fees for applications can be viewed by clicking here.

Standard Application Form (1App)
It is now mandatory to use the Standard National Application Form known as 1App for all applications.  These forms have been designed for on-line use.  However, if you wish to submit a paper copy please select the correct link for the application type you are submitting from the following list. The form will open as a PDF document.

For guidance on what type of application you require please click here.

For guidance on what documents are required to make a valid application - List of documents required by GBC LPA

Further guidance and copies of Notice 1 and 2 are available via the Planning Portal Website by clicking here.

Notification of proposed works to a tree within a Conservation Area that is not covered by a Tree Preservation Order and notification of a proposed larger Home Extension can either be made on the appropriate 1App form or in writing.

Local List

In line with government advice Gosport have adopted a local list of documents to be submitted with 1App forms in addition to the national validation requirements. Applications will not be registered unless the Local List requirements are met. A summary of the requirements can be viewed - List of documents required by GBC LPA

Further information about the documents listed across the spreadsheet can be viewed by clicking on the name of the document.  The application forms listed in the left hand column link to the national and local requirements for each application form. The red cells indicate that the document must be submitted with that application and the information in the cell gives the policy basis for the requirement.  The yellow cells indicate that submission is conditional on the criteria listed within the cell with the policy justification.

Pre-application advice

Section 106 Monitoring Fees

From 1 April 2021, Gosport Borough Council charge a fee for the monitoring, reporting and delivery of planning obligations.

The current fee along with information relating to the rationale behind its introduction, how it was established, the exceptions, and how the fee will be used can be found on the Section 106 Monitoring Fee page.



Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email