[Skip to content]



Housing Benefit Section

Please note, from 28th March 2016, if you are a single Jobseeker in Gosport not already getting Job Seekers Allowance, you may need to claim Universal Credit to help pay your rent.  Please check here.  Universal Credit claimants who need help with their Council Tax must still apply for Council Tax Support via the link below.

Housing Benefit provides help with paying your rent.  The amount of help to which you may be entitled will depend on your income, savings and family circumstances.  Local Council Tax Support (LCTS) provides help paying your Council Tax.

To claim Housing Benefit and/or (LCTS) you will need to complete an application form, which need to completed electronically. Please click here for more information on how to make a claim.


Housing Benefit does not provide assistance with paying mortgages. You may be able to receive assistance paying your mortgage from the Department for Work and Pensions.

Always ensure that your name, address and National Insurance number is on everything that you send us.


When your entitlement to Housing Benefit has been calculated you will receive a determination letter showing how it has been worked out. You must check this letter carefully and let us know if any of the information used is incorrect. Any award of LCTS will show on your Council Tax bill.


You have the right to a review and if necessary a further review of any determination that the Council has made regarding your Housing Benefit or LCTS, however this must be done within strict time scales. You should contact the Benefits Section if you need to know more about this.


If your circumstances change you must inform the Benefits Section straight away. Failure to do so may mean that we will take court action against you and if we pay you too much benefit, you will have to repay it.

Report a change in your circumstances

Benefits COC

Already claiming and want to tell us about a change in your circumstances ?

Tell us ONLINE and ON TIME!

Complete the online change of circumstance form AND attach any documents to evidence your change HERE

Where any additional information is required, we will contact you to tell you about this. We will contact you by telephone, text, email or by letter.

Here are some examples of changes that may affect the amount of benefit you are entitled to:-

  • you start or leave a job;
  • any of your children leave school or leave home;
  • anyone moves into or out of your home (including lodgers and sub-tenants);
  • if you cease to be entitled to Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance;
  • your income or the income of anyone living with you, including benefits and Tax Credits, changes;
  • your capital, savings or investments change;
  • you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a Youth Training Scheme, goes into hospital or a nursing home, goes into prison, or gets, changes or leaves a job;
  • your rent or your landlord changes;
  • you move address;
  • you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than a month;
  • you receive any decision from the Home Office

If you are unsure about what you need to tell us, or if need any further information regarding Housing Benefit or LCTS, please contact the Benefits Section on (023) 9254 5325. or email benefits@gosport.gov.uk


For more information about electronic communications, see the directive (Adobe PDF format) authorising us to do this.

Advice: If you are applying for Housing / Local Council Tax Support


Local Housing Allowances (for those that rent privately)


Housing Benefit Size Criteria and the Benefit Cap



Do you know someone who is claiming benefit to which they may not be entitled?


If the answer to the above question is yes, telephone this office on (023) 9254 5545 giving full details so that allegations can be investigated.  Alternatively, fill out our online 'Housing Benefit - Reporting a Fraud' form.
Any information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Gosport Borough Council logo GOV.UK logo Hampshire County Council logo Portsmouth, Gosport and Havant Fairtrade logo NHS - 111 logo