The Council's response to the climate crisis
- To be carbon neutral for the Council's own operations (scope 1 and 2) by 2050.
- For emissions of greenhouse gases across Gosport (scope 1 and 2) to reach net-zero by 2050.
- For Gosport to be as resilient as possible to the impacts of climate change.
The Strategy defines the priority areas that the Council will address in support of these aspirations, and the key aims and ambitions in each priority area. An sets out specific measures that the Council will take to work towards meeting the aims and ambitions. Actions taken so far include:
- establishing the Gosport Climate Change Partnership, bringing together a wide range of stakeholders to drive and coordinate the Borough's collective response to the climate crisis;
- switching to a renewable electricity supply for our operational buildings and social housing;
- launching the Switched On Gosport website to help residents access free energy saving measures such as insulation and solar panels;
- ramping up our rate of tree planting - we pledged to plant 1000 trees in 1000 days on 11th September 2019, and achieved more than twice this target;
- helping communities across Gosport to take part in the Greening Campaign and work together to become more sustainable.
We're also working on installing solar panels at the Leisure Centre, using electric vehicles in our fleet, and introducing policies to reduce emissions and adapt to climate change into the next Local Plan, among other measures.
If you have any comments or suggestions about the work we're doing to address the climate crisis, please contact us.