Reducing emissions from Council operations
The Council's operations are a small percentage of the total greenhouse gas emissions in Gosport2. However, the Council has full control over these emissions and a responsibility to lead by example by reducing these accordingly with a longer-term aspiration.
To reach this aspiration, the Council will aim to reduce measured emissions by at least 10% each year on average from a 2019/20 financial year baseline. While emissions reductions will fluctuate, with possible plateaus and abrupt reductions (reflecting technological advances or national policy), interim targets have been set to help monitor progress:
- Reduction of at least 67% compared to 2019/20 by 2029/30.
- Reduction of at least 89% compared to 2019/20 by 2039/40.
The areas that are likely to contribute the most to scope 3 emissions will also be addressed: refuse collection, employee travel and procurement.
The key aims for each priority are set out below.
(< 3 years)
(3 to 10 years)
(> 10 years)
|P1: Supported housing and operational buildings|
|P2: Refuse collection|
|P3: Employee travel|
Further emissions reductions from these areas will be driven by Government policy, legislation and investment for decarbonisation; for example emissions from buildings will only reach zero after full decarbonisation of the UK's electricity grid.
Once major emission sources have been addressed, action for non-priority areas will be reflected in this strategy although if opportunities arise, actions will be included sooner (e.g. electric vehicles considered for purchase/lease when the present lease expires).
- ⇧ Includes Scope 1 and 2 emissions but not scope 3, as these are not currently measured, but efforts will be made to reduce this majority source.
- ⇧ Scope 1 and 2 emissions calculated as approx. 0.4%.
- ⇧ The Council's emissions from supported housing are mostly accounted for by hostels and communal areas of sheltered housing schemes, which will therefore be the main focus of emission reduction actions.