Toggle menu

Advice on landlord and tenant issues

Harassment and illegal eviction

Tenants can sometimes be harassed or illegally evicted by their landlord or someone acting on behalf of the landlord.  These are serious criminal offences.  Harassment and illegal eviction can take many forms, such as:

  • Violence or threats of violence
  • Entering your home without warning, especially late at night
  • Cutting off the electricity, gas or water supply
  • Interfering with your post
  • Trying to evict you without going through the correct procedure
  • Changing the locks while you are out.

If things like this are happening to you, you should contact this Council's Housing Options Service for further advice and assistance.  The Council can prosecute private landlords.  You probably have a right to stay in your home until your landlord has followed the correct procedure.

If you need to make contact with the Housing Options Team.

Disrepair in your rented home

The Housing and Pollution Team at Gosport Borough Council is available to assist private sector housing occupants who have difficulties with disrepair in their current home.  The team may be able to use enforcement powers against your landlord.  This team are located at the Town Hall offices and are available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.  They can be contacted by phone on 023 9258 4242.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email