Toggle menu

Household Waste Recycling Centre

Facebook logo
Twitter logo
Instagram logo

Hampshire County Council provides and manages the Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) located in Grange Road, Gosport. 

You must book an appointment to visit an HWRC in Hampshire, this has been implemented to manage demand and reduce queuing traffic. If you visit an HWRC without an appointment you will be turned away.
Please visit Hampshire County Councils website for more information and to book a slot;

You can take a variety of items here to be recycled or disposed of correctly. These include:

  • Furniture
  • Wood and timber
  • Garden Waste
  • Scrap Metal
  • Car Batteries and household batteries
  • Paint
  • Soil, rubble and DIY waste (limited quantities)
  • Electrical items and light bulbs

For information on the Gosport HWRC and what you can and cannot take to this site, please contact Hampshire County Council on 0300 555 1389 or visit 

Hazardous Waste:

Some household waste is classed as hazardous and must be taken to a specially licensed HWRC site. The nearest licenced sites are at Port Solent and Segensworth.

Examples of hazardous waste include household products such as white spirit, paint brush cleaners, de-scalers, stain removers, household batteries, fluorescent light tubes, photographic chemicals, drain cleaners and oven cleaners. Garden products such as pesticides, insecticides, lawn treatments, fungicides, weed killers and wood preservatives (e.g. Creosote). Car maintenance products such as antifreeze, brake fluid and lubricants.

Household electrical items such as fridges and freezers, energy saving light bulbs, fluorescent light tubes, household batteries and televisions are accepted at all of the HWRCs, including Gosport.

Hazardous waste information page.

Gosport HWRC Opening hours

  • 1 April - 30 September: 9am to 6pm
  • 1 October - 28 February: 9am to 4pm
  • 1 March - 31 March: 9am to 5pm

Further information on the Hampshire County Council website. 


To find out more about the new permit scheme for vehicles, and to apply for a permit, please contact Hampshire County Council using the above information.

Bulky Waste Collections 

If you are unable to visit the HWRC and have a bulky household waste item to dispose of, Gosport Borough Council provides a collection service for a charge. Please phone Streetscene on 08000 198 598 or to find out more about Bulky Household Waste Collections

Please note Gosport Borough Council cannot collect items containing or treated with hazardous waste through the Bulky Waste Service. Please take these items to a specially licensed hazardous waste HWRC (see above), or alternatively ensure these are collected by a suitably licensed contractor. Householders have a duty of care to ensure their waste is suitably disposed of. For more information please visit the Environment Agency website by clicking here.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email