Toggle menu

Hazardous Waste

Facebook logo
Twitter logo
Instagram logo

Hazardous household waste items are usually marked with an orange and black label as they pose a possible risk to human health or the environment if used irresponsibly. 

From 1 July 2007, European landfill regulations state that electrical equipment such as televisions, irons, toasters and hairdryers, are to be reclassified as hazardous waste. 

What can I do with my hazardous waste?

Eleven HWRCs in Hampshire are specially licensed by the Environment Agency to receive hazardous household waste such as garden chemicals and white spirit (the nearest sites to Gosport are Port Solent and Segensworth HWRCs). All the Hampshire HWRCs (including Gosport) will accept electrical goods, household batteries and light bulbs and have separate areas on site where they are collected before being delivered to accredited reprocessors. On arrival at a site, you should contact a member of site staff who will direct you to the appropriate container or area.

Alternatively you could contact a contractor to remove your waste. Anyone carrying waste for profit must be authorised to carry the waste and hold a valid waste carrier licence, and householders have a duty of care to ensure their waste is suitably disposed of. For more information please call the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 or visit their website here.

Please note Gosport Borough Council cannot collect items containing or treated with hazardous waste through the Bulky Waste Service. Please use one of the methods above to dispose of your hazardous waste. 

Examples of hazardous household waste accepted at the 11 licensed HWRCs: 

Household products such as white spirit, paint brush cleaners, descalers, stain removers, household batteries, fluorescent light tubes, photographic chemicals, drain cleaners and oven cleaners. Garden products such as pesticides, insecticides, lawn treatments, fungicides, weed killers and wood preservatives (e.g. Creosote). Car maintenance products such as antifreeze, brake fluid and lubricants. The 11 licensed HWRCs are Alton, Andover, Basingstoke, Bordon, Farnborough, Marchwood, Netley, Portsmouth, Segensworth, Southampton and Winchester.

How can I dispose of cement bonded asbestos? 

If you have a small quantity of cement bonded asbestos sheets to dispose of from your home (no more than 15 sheets of an approximate size of 120 cm x 60cm), your nearest HWRC for disposal is Port Solent, Portsmouth.

Examples of hazardous household waste accepted at all HWRCs: 

Household electrical items such as fridges and freezers, household batteries, fluorescent light tubes, energy saving light bulbs and televisions.

Examples of hazardous household waste NOT accepted at any HWRC:

  • Liquid fuels such as petrol, diesel and paraffin and fuel by-products such as glycerine;
  • hazardous waste from a commercial source; 
  • ammunition, explosives or marine flares (contact your local police station);
  • medicines (take back to your local dispensing chemist).

For more information please contact Streetscene:

Tel - 08000 198 598
Email -

or visit the Hampshire County Council website by clicking here.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email