Toggle menu

Housing Options

Gosport Homelessness and Rough Sleeping Strategy 2022–2027 (Word doc) [1MB]

Our Housing Options Service provides information, assistance and advice to help you resolve your housing situation. We will either try to keep you in your current home or we will help you to find alternative accommodation.

We provide advice and assistance on a wide range of housing related problems:

  • Deposits
  • Homelessness
  • Housing Waiting List
  • Housing Options
  • Landlord and Tenant Law
  • Those leaving the Armed Forces
  • Notices
  • Relationship breakdown
  • Domestic Violence
  • Care Leavers
  • Those leaving Prison
  • Money Advice

Contact Us

You can contact us during office hours from 9:00am to 5:00pm by telephone on 023 9254 5476

  • By face to face with a Housing Advisor at our Drop-in service based at the Town Hall 9.30am to 4.30pm
  • Drop in will close between 12:45 - 1:30 until further notice

  • By email

Should you require emergency accommodation outside of normal working hours contact our Central Control Team on 0800 028 0835.

Duty to Refer - please see separate Duty to Refer page. For more information email

Useful contacts

Please see below links to some websites that you may find useful.

Directory of Services May - October 2024  Directory of Services (PDF) [940KB]

Gosport Borough Council recognises the contribution and sacrifice made by members of the Armed Forces community and the unique skills and attributes they bring to our workplace. The Gosport Armed Forces Community is a voluntary statement of mutual support between a civilian community and its local Armed Forces community. It is intended to complement the national Armed Forces Covenant, which outlines the moral obligation between the Nation, the Government and the Armed Forces at a local level.

Armed Forces Service Leavers (Word doc) [79KB]  - There are a number of housing options to consider if looking for accommodation. Here you can find out about options on finding a home as well as what to do if you are homeless.

Citizens Advice Gosport is an independent service providing free, confidential and impartial advice to everybody regardless of race, sex, disability or sexuality. They offer information and advice through face-to-face, phone and online.

Connect to Support Hampshire - provides information for adults with care and support needs.

 Money matters (  - information on a range of money themes for adults.

Crisis hotline (PDF) [155KB]  - Shout is the UK's first free 24/7 crisis textline available for anyone, anytime, anywhere. The service is anonymous and off bill. It is powered by a nationwide team of Crisis Volunteers, supported by expert Clinical Supervisors.

The Family Information and Services Hub gives information about what is going on in your area, details on how to access services, organisations and activities in Hampshire, and the advice and support that is available.

The Gosport Basics Bank aim to provide practical help to all people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless in the Gosport area. Services include free food, toiletries and other items to anyone in crisis during the hours of 1-3pm, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Vouchers are available to anyone sleeping on the streets for a free meal and drink through a number of agencies in the area.

 Hantsweb is your gateway to information on Hampshire - for residents and visitors alike, services include:

  • Births, deaths and ceremonies
  • Community support
  • Education and learning
  • Social care and health

Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust has developed a useful website called Health Connections which provides information about local services for people who have complex care needs or people who just want information on services available locally. The website contains a comprehensive directory of organisations that support people with their health and wellbeing.

Tenant Fees Act - The Tenant Fees Act came into effect on 1st June and limits the costs that landlords can impose on tenants in order to secure or renew a tenancy.

From 1st June the only payments that landlords or letting agents can charge to tenants for new contracts are:

  • rent
  • a refundable tenancy deposit capped at no more than 5 weeks' rent where the total annual rent is less than £50,000, or 6 weeks' rent where the total annual rent is £50,000 or above
  • a refundable holding deposit (to reserve a property) capped at no more than 1 weeks' rent
  • payments associated with early termination of the tenancy, when requested by the tenant
  • payments in respect of utilities, communication services, TV licence and Council Tax
  • a default fee for late payment of rent and replacement of a lost key/security device giving access to the housing, where required under a tenancy agreement

Government guidance on the Act for tenants, landlords and letting agents is available.'How to Rent' and 'How to Let' guides have also been updated to reflect the legislation.

Housing Advice for 16-17 year olds (PDF) [628KB]  - Information for 16-17 year olds that are homeless or are at risk of homelessness.

Tenant fees (PDF) [113KB]  - This factsheet looks at the fees that private landlords can charge their landlords.

Money Advice Service - Free and impartial money advice, set up by the Government.

Mental Wellbeing Hampshire | Health and social care | Hampshire County Council ( - mental health prevention and support information across the life course

NHAS - National Homelessness Advice Service.

Private Rented Sector - Please select here to view the government's 'how to' guides for the private rented sector in England published by Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.

Lifelong support for our Forces and their families. SAFFA has a network of trained volunteer case workers who can visit you at home. They provide emotional, practical and financial support, as well as assistance with a variety of welfare needs, and offer help with purchasing essential items, housing advice, assistance with relocation costs, help with education and training course costs and personal support.

Rough Sleepers -Two Saints now have a small outreach team. They have a new email address for all outreach communication, enquiries and reports of those rough sleeping. Please forward all enquiries regarding rough sleepers to this new email address. This will ensure all communications are checked daily and not sent to individuals, who may be on leave etc.

Please send all street link enquiries to Fareham&

Alongside this will also staff can be contacted on the numbers below:

07734 551801, 07818 093158 or 07809 342126

SDA - Stop Domestic Abuse provide services to people who have experienced or who are experiencing emotional, physical or sexual abuse in their relationships.

Shelter - Shelter helps millions of people every year struggling with bad housing or homelessness through their advice, support and legal services. They campaign to make sure that, one day, no one will have to turn to them for help.

Step by Step - are a charity working to empower young people aged 16-21 and prevent homelessness.

The Royal British Legion provides lifelong support for the Armed Forces community - serving men and women, veterans, and their families. They also campaign to improve their lives, organise the Poppy Appeal and remember the fallen.

Two Saints - provides people who are homeless, vulnerable or in need of support, the opportunity to build a brighter future.

Universal Credit - Housing Queries Routeway has been published on understanding Universal Credit. The routeway provides clear information to help landlords resolve queries about Universal Credit, with links to online information and phone numbers for specialist support.

The Wessex Youth Offending Team aim is to see fewer children and young people in the criminal justice system.

Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service

Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service (HLPAS), which offers government-funded legal advice and representation (legal aid) to individuals facing possession proceedings which could result in the loss of their homes.

Individuals who receive a written notice for possession (e.g. an email from a landlord or a letter from a creditor) will be eligible to receive free legal assistance.

The HLPAS will be delivered by housing law experts and provided in two stages.

The first stage will involve the provision of legal advice on housing, welfare benefits and debt issues to individuals facing home possession proceedings, with the aim of resolving problems early and avoiding court proceedings where possible.

The second stage will provide in-court legal representation during possession hearings for those individuals whose cases cannot be solved out of court.


Individuals can find their nearest Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service provider by typing in their postcode and ticking the box 'Housing Loss Prevention Advice Service' on GOV.​UK.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email