There are a number of housing options to consider if looking for accommodation. Here you can find out about options on finding a home as well as what to do if you're homeless.

Social rented housing

Social housing is very scarce and most councils having long waiting lists - the Armed Forces Covenant means that you will not be disadvantaged by not having a local connection; however, it will NOT mean that you get to the top of the list.

Even if you are at the top of the list, it could still be years before you get a house; it is worth remembering that, if you leave Service Family Accommodation (SFA) and are homeless, the council will have a duty of care to put a roof over your head. However, this may be a hostel or B&B which isn't ideal for a family.

Residents of Gosport can apply for council and housing association housing by joining the Housing register.

Serving and former members of the Armed Forces will qualify if they fall within one or more of the statutory reasonable preference categories. More information can be found in the Council's allocations Policy.

The following housing associations also offer housing options specifically for people who have served in the Armed Forces:

Private rented housing

Renting from a private landlord is another option for finding somewhere to live. Everything you need to know about renting a home from a private landlord, including what questions to ask and your rights and responsibilities, can be found in the government's How to rent checklist.

Affordable home ownership

Affordable home ownership is homes for sale and rent below market levels for eligible households whose needs are not met by the market. The government runs the following home ownership schemes:


If you're homeless or threatened with homelessness, the Council may be able to help. For more information read our Housing Options page.

SPACES is a national service offering accommodation placement advice to single personnel discharged from the Armed Forces - 01748 833797.

Further help

Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) provides housing information and advice to service personnel and their families to assist them in the transition to civilian life - 01252 787 574.

Forces Families Federations

Naval Families Federation

Army Families Federation

RAF Families Federation

SSAFA provides practical and emotional support to serving and former members of the Armed Forces and their families on a wide range of areas including housing - 0800 731 4880.

RBLI supports the Armed Forces Community and those affected by disability, health conditions or social welfare needs. Help includes the provision of welfare, healthcare, housing, employment and development opportunities - 01622 795900

Veterans UK runs a helpline that provides assistance on many issues including benefits, housing and welfare - 0808 1914 2 18.

Veterans Aid helps veterans who are in crisis with accommodation, addictions, mental health problems, access to training and education and Foreign and Commonwealth issues - 0800 012 68 67.

Blind Veterans UK helps vision impaired Armed Forces and National Service veterans to relearn vital life skills and provides them with the tools they need to be independent in their own homes. They offer new learning, training and recreation opportunities and provide long-term nursing, residential and respite care - 0800 389 7979

Army Welfare Service helps serving married and single personnel and their families with any personal or family difficulties that arise, by providing a confidential, comprehensive and professional welfare service.

Shelter offer free, expert housing advice to anyone - 0808 800 4444.

Citizens Advice Bureau offer online and telephone advice - 03444 111 444