Toggle menu

Need help paying your rent or Council Tax?

The majority of people who need help paying their rent will need to make a claim for Universal Credit (UC), which is a benefit administered by the Department for Work and Pensions. It is a single monthly payment that can include an element for Housing Costs.

Claims for UC are made online at

Universal Credit does not include financial support towards the cost of your Council Tax. If you need help paying your Council Tax, you can claim Local Council Tax Support from the Council.

Please make your claim for LCTS as soon as you can by clicking on one of the links below:-


There are a small number of people who will not have their housing costs paid as part of their UC so can therefore claim Housing Benefit. For example:-

  • if you, and your partner if you have one, have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit (to check your state pension age please visit
  • if you have been placed into temporary accommodation by our housing team;
  • if you are living in supported accommodation and receive care, support or supervision from your landlord (or other organisation on your landlords' behalf)

If you have any questions about the accommodation you are in and are unsure which benefit to claim, please ask the Benefits Team for further advice before claiming UC.

If you need help filling in the claim form please refer to the  Housing Benefit LCTS support guide (PDF) [277KB] . There is also a 'Help' section within the form itself.

If you do not have access to the internet at home:

  • you can access the claim form using a friend's or relative's PC and internet connection
  • you can gain access to a PC at your local library (check their opening hours beforehand)
  • you can ask your Support Worker to assist you
  • you can ask someone else to assist you
  • the form is mobile and tablet friendly. Should you experience any difficulty, please contact the Benefits Team to help you through the process

In each of the above cases, your claim can only be paid once all of the information requested of you is received. Any delay in submitting the necessary information may hold up the assessment process.

If you need any assistance with your claim, please contact the Benefit Section on 023 9254 5325

What information will I need to support my claim?

At the end of the online claim form, once this has been submitted, there will be a list of documents you need to provide to support your own claim. Where any additional information is required, we will contact you to tell you about this. We will contact you by telephone, text, email or by letter.

When completing the form however, you will need to know the following information:

  • National Insurance number for yourself (and any partner)
  • Income details for you (and any partner) - including any benefits, earnings, Tax Credits etc.
  • Bank details for you (and any partner) - including account numbers, sort codes and balances
  • How much rent you are charged
  • Your Landlord's name and address
  • Non-dependant details (if applicable) - including details of their income

To ensure your claim is processed as quickly as possible, please tell us straightaway if you will have difficulty in supplying any of the information.

If you require further information to assist you in your claim f please contact the Benefits Section on (023) 9254 5325

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email