Service Standards for Democratic Services
Democratic Services is responsible for arranging and the administration of meetings of the Council, its Boards and Committees.
The Council provides a number of different services to the people of Gosport. Decisions on such services may be made at a meeting of the full Council, by a Board or Sub-Board or by a Council Officer. The Council also has a Standards and Governance Committee.
Democratic Services are responsible for the administration of all Boards, Sub-Boards, Committees and full Council meetings. This includes finalising the calendar of meetings, public notice of such meetings, circulation of agendas and reports, recording and publicising the decisions of such meetings.
Democratic Services is the principal point of contact for Members, Officers and members of the Public who require information about forthcoming meetings or decisions taken at such meetings.
Our Job is to:
- prepare the Council's twelve monthly cycle of Council, Board and Committee meetings
- circulate agenda and reports for Council, Board and Committee meetings five working days before the meeting
- minute the proceedings of the above meetings, including the decisions made
- arrange the Annual meeting of the Council in order to elect a Mayor and make appointments to the Council's Boards, Committees, Sub-Boards and Outside Bodies for the following Municipal Year
- provide advice to members of the Public regarding their involvement at meetings e.g. Deputation's Procedure and Public Questions
- administer the Council's FOI's, Subject Access Requests and support the Ombudsman scheme
- place on the GBC website agendas, minutes and reports for access by the Public.
- When you talk to us you will find us friendly, courteous and helpful. We will have regard to those persons with special needs by, for example, providing information on how documents may be provided in braille or large print and making arrangements for provision of a language translation service where appropriate. In addition advice will be given regarding wheelchair access to meetings in the Town Hall.
- We guarantee to provide a high level of service in all areas of our work whilst having regard to the need to comply in all respects with relevant statutory requirements.
Letters and telephone calls
- letters will be answered within 10 working days of receipt. If we are unable to answer a letter within this time, we will send an acknowledgement and will tell you when you may expect a full response.
- we aim to answer your telephone calls within 20 seconds and to return your call, if requested, within one working day.
- any complaints about Democratic Services' staff will be investigated promptly. We will advise customers in writing of what we are doing to put things right and let them know how to take things further if they're still not happy.
How did we do?
- we hope you have found this information useful. If you have any comments about the leaflet or the service we provide, please write to:
Senior Democratic Services Officer
Gosport Borough Council
Tele: 023 9254 5653
The Council is committed to a policy of non-discrimination in all aspects of its work. If you feel you have been unfairly treated in this respect please write to the Chief Executive.