Toggle menu

Temporary event notice licence (TEN)

Licence summary

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in England or Wales, you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to your local licensing authority no later than ten working days before the event. If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each.

You must also give a copy of the notice to the police no later than ten working days before the event.

You must be 18 years or older to give a TEN and can give a maximum of five TENs per year. If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year.

Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 96 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

Eligibility Criteria

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given.

The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should contain:

  • details of the licensable activities
  • the event period
  • the times when during that period the activities will take place
  • the maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises
  • any other required matters

Covid-19 requirements - Risk Assessment

In view of the current pandemic, Government laws and guidance regarding Coronavirus (available at require duty holders to put in place measures to control the risk of the transmission of Covid-19.

To comply with these requirements, you will need to have carried out a suitable Covid-secure risk assessment for your event. Please see the Health and Safety Executive - Covid-secure risk assessments web page for guidance and information on how to do this.

The Covid-secure risk assessment must be prepared as part of your planning for your event, and then implemented and managed for the duration of your event. Your Covid-secure risk assessment must also be made available upon request of an authorised officer of the Council.

As a significant public safety issue of concern, you should submit a copy of your risk assessment with your application.

If you do not submit a suitable Covid-secure risk assessment with your application or any element of the risk assessment or associated controls fail to meet current Coronavirus law or guidance, your application and event will likely -

1)            attract objections; and/or

2)            be referred for review by the Director of Public Health (who may direct the closure, cessation and prevention of activities that may affect public health).

This may result in your application being refused and/or the event not being permitted to go ahead.

Regulation Summary

A summary of the eligibility criteria for this licence (external website)

Application Evaluation Process

The TEN must be given in writing, in duplicate, to the local authority at least ten days before the event. A fee is payable with the notice.

The local authority will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

The premises user must also give notice to the chief officer of the local police department no later than ten working days before the event period.

The chief police officer who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine crime prevention objectives can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 48 hours of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The local licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event.

A police chief may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn.

Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Will Tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from Gosport Borough Council by the end of the target completion period.

Apply online (via

Apply for a temporary event notice (external website)

*** ONLY USE THE ONLINE FORM ABOVE FOR FULL ONLINE APPLICATIONS. If you want to make an application other than using the online process, the  Temporary Event Notice form (PDF) [212KB]  (Adobe PDF) must be used. Submit two copies with fee to local authority and a copy to the police. ***

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days.

An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us in the first instance.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).

Other Redress

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Share this page

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share by email