[Skip to content]



Domestic Abuse

Victim support
This page provides information and advice about domestic abuse, and services available.

Useful contacts:

In an emergency always dial  999

Fareham and Gosport Family Aid website - www.womensaid.org.uk

National Domestic Violence Helpline  0808 2000 247

Victim Support Hampshire and IOW  0845 0703 002 / 0845 3030 900

Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)  023 9221 0352

Childline  0800 1111

  • Runaway helpline  0808 800 7070
  • Mens Advice Line & Enquiry (MALE)  0808 801 0327
  • ManKind Initiative (for male victims of domestic abuse)  01823 334244
  • Respect Helpline for people who are abusive towards their partners and want help to stop  0845 122 8609
  • National Centre for Domestic Violence - for advice on civil injunctions  0844 8044 999
  • Forced Marriage Unit  020 7008 0151 or 020 7008 1500
  • Honour Network Helpline  0800 5999 247
  • Broken Rainbow - advice for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered victims of domestic abuse 0845 2604 460

For a full list of services available to you in your area, including refuge and outreach support please visit the HCC website: www.hants.gov.uk/socialcareandhealth/adultsocialcare/domesticabuse

About Domestic Abuse:

Domestic Abuse can affect anyone.  The majority of known domestic abuse is perpetrated by men against women.  However, men can also be victims of domestic abuse perpetrated by women or men.  Domestic abuse can also occur in same-sex relationships; it cuts across age, class, wealth, employment status, religion and ethnicity.  It can happen between you and your partner or ex-partner.  Domestic Abuse can also happen between other family members.

Domestic Abuse is a series or pattern of behaviour which can be in the form of a threat of violence, actual violence or abuse.

  • constant criticism
  • pressure
  • disrespect
  • isolation
  • harassment
  • constant questioning
  • witholding money or other material things
  • destroying belongings
  • making threats
  • being demanding

What can I do if I am a victim of Domestic Abuse?

  • In an emergency always call 999
  • arrange where you might go if you have to leave urgently
  • find places where you can quickly and safely use the phone
  • try to save money so that you have bus or taxi fares in an emergency
  • get an extra set of keys for the house/car
  • keep the keys, money and anything else you may need in a safe place, should you have to leave quickly
  • talk to your children, let them know it is not their fault.  Children do not have to see violence to be affected by it; they hear it, sense it and can be sad and frightened by it
  • talk to relatives, friends, your doctor, nurse or others about how you feel

Should you decide to leave home try to contact a specialist organisation such as one of those listed, they will be able to give you some advice on things you may not have thought of, especially leaving safely.

Consider taking:

  • birth and marriage certificates
  • school and medical records
  • driving license and car documents
  • money, credit cards, cheque books
  • passports, work permits, visa (if required)
  • medications
  • several days clothing
  • personal possessions which have sentimental value
  • children's favourite toys

Please click text to access:

Domestic abuse safety plan leaflet
Domestic abuse information and guidance leaflet

Victim Support website - www.victimsupport.org.uk
Gosport Borough Council logo GOV.UK logo Hampshire County Council logo Portsmouth, Gosport and Havant Fairtrade logo NHS - 111 logo