[Skip to content]



Anti-social Behaviour

This page provides information, advice and guidance around addressing anti-social behaviour.

Anti-social Behaviour is unacceptable behaviour that can upset people's lives, interfering with the peaceful enjoyment of the home and surrounding area.

The Crime and Disorder Act 1998 defines anti-social behaviour as behaving 'in a manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as himself'.

Anti-social behaviour covers a wide range of actions from low level nuisance to criminal behaviour, often in the form of harassment or intimidation; broadly it is broken down into seven types of behaviour:

  • Vandalism graffiti and other deliberate damage to property

  • Teenagers hanging around on the streets

  • Rubbish or litter

  • Drug use and dealing

  • Drunk or rowdy behaviour

  • Noisy neighbours

  • Abandoned or burnt out cars / vehicles

Click on the following text to view leaflets for;  flytipping, abandoned vehicles and dog fouling

Top Tips for preventing and reducing Anti-social Behaviour

Get to know your neighbours:

  • Welcome new neighbours to the area when they move in, try and make them feel like they belong and take the time to introduce yourself if you move to a new area.
  • See what's on at your local community centre.  Residents meetings are often called by Housing Associations or resident groups. 

Join Neighbourhood Watch:

  • Neighbourhood Watch is a great way of getting your neighbours together to find solutions to problems.  Streets with active schemes can have fewer probelms with crime and anti-social behaviour than others.  Call 023 9252 2439 to find out more.
  • If you have any problems with an individual or family, there are a few things you can try.  A better outcome will usually be achieved if things can be resolved amicably rather than by taking formal action, particularly as disputes often start with a misunderstanding or difference in lifestyle and expectations of others.

Identify the problem and consider making some notes:

  • Be clear in your own mind about what is happening, how often and what effect it is having on you and your family.  Ask yourself: is it a one off or a persistent problem?  Is it a difference in lifestyle?  Is the behaviour unreasonable by most people's standards? Start making notes of when and how often the issue is happening, if there is a pattern to the behaviour and a complaint is necessary the notes can assist agencies in targetting resources.

Discuss the situation:

  • If you know who they are, try to talk to the person or parent about the behaviour and the impact it is having.  They may not realise there is a problem.  Take time to think about how you are going to approach them.  Be polite and take time to listen to their point of view.  Most importantly - stay calm.

Find a Mediator:

  • If you are unable to resolve the issue yourselves, an independent mediator can help.  Local options include Portsmouth Mediation Service 023 9243 1352 and New Forest Assessment Service (NFAS)  023 8033 1456.

Contact Victim Support:

  • Victim Support are highly trained in offering advice and guidance to victims of anti-social behaviour as well as victims of crime.  They offer a range of services which can be tailored to your indvidual needs.  To find out more please call:  0845 0703 002 or visit the following website:   www.victimsupport.org.uk                        

The National Neighbourhood Watch website has a number of helpful videos which provide practical advice on how to prevent or resolve a potential dispute between neighbours.  An example can be found at: http://www.neighbourhoodwatch.net/index.php?func=PageResourceStory&Type=Resource&StoryId=320

How do I report Anti-social Behaviour?

If you have tried the 'top tips' and things do not improve, report the anti-social behaviour when it is occuring or as soon as possible. 

It is important to be clear with the issue you are reoprting and to provide as much information as you can.  Consider providing the following information:

  • What is the issue?
  • How often is it an issue?
  • When did it happen?
  • Who was involved?
  • Your full contact details.

Anti-social Behaviour can be reported using th Police non-emergency number 101.  Reports of Anti-social Behaviour to this number are received by the Police and shared with Gosport Borough Council.  In case of an emergency such as when there is a risk of harm please call 999.

  • If you are a Council tenant - you can contact your housing officer (please see contact list below)
  • If you are a Housing Association tenant - you can contact your housing association housing officer (please see contact list below)

  • If you rent from a private landlord - you can contact your landlord

  • If you own your home, the problem should be reported through 101.  If you require additional help or guidance you can also contact the Community Safety Team at Gosport Borough Council by emailing  communitysafety@gosport.gov.uk

Contact details of housing providers in the borough of Gosport follow:

  • Gosport Borough Council - 023 9258 4242 (ask for duty housing officer)

  • Hyde Housing Association (properties moved from A2 Domion) 0800 389 3576

  • Radian Housing Association (formerly DRUM Housing)- 017 3040 3200

  • First Wessex Housing Association (formerly PHA) - 023 9250 5787

  • Hermitage Housing - 023 9279 4500

  • Housing 21 - 0870 1924 317

  • Home Housing - 0845 606 6540

Other useful contacts:

  • Noise Nuisance - Environmental Health on 023 9254 5515
  • Criminal Damage - Police 101 / 0845 045 4545
  • Play park issues - Leisure department 023 9254 5605
  • Victim support -www.victimsupport.org.uk                        
  • Neighbourhood Watch - please email Carol at newswatch@gosportnhw.co.uk to request the contact details of your local neighbourhood watch coordinator.

Call Streetscene on 0800 0 198 598 to report:

  • Graffiti 
  • Dog fouling
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Fly tipping
  • Fly posting

How will Gosport Borough Council's Community Safety Team deal with my complaint of Anti-social Behaviour?

We will treat all complaints of ASB seriously and ensure that every report is investigated throughly and dealt with sensitively.

On contacting GBC's Community Safety Team you will be asked a series of questions about the issues you are experiencing and how this is impacting on you.  the informaiton gathered will assist the case officer in gaining a full picture of the issue and will enable your case to be assessed as High, Medium or Low.

Actions carried out by yor case officer may include:

Asking you to complete Anti-social Behaviour incdent logs with return dates as follows:

  • High risk cases - return within one week
  • Medium risk cases - Return within two weeks
  • Low risk cases - return within one month

On receiving a report from a member of the public, members of the Community Safety Partnership will:

  • treat you with respect and listen to you
  • provide confidential advice and assistance
  • possibly ask for your assistance in completing anti-social behaviour/ noise recording logs
  • may contact partner agencies to obtain or share information
  • take appropriate action to deal with the person causing the problem

Measures that can be used by the Community Safety Partnership, including the Police, Council  and Housing providers:

  • warning letters and interviews, contracts and agreements
  • community agreements
  • family intervention projects, parenting contracts/programmes/orders
  • fixed penalty notices and penalty notices for disorder
  • noise abatement notices, injunctions, dispersal powers and anti-social behaviour orders (ASBO's)
  • 'crack house' closure orders
  • possession proceedings against a tenant, demotion orders
  • premises closure order

If you would like to find out more about some of the tools and powers available please click on the links below: 

Gosport Borough Council logo GOV.UK logo Hampshire County Council logo Portsmouth, Gosport and Havant Fairtrade logo NHS - 111 logo