RENT - Claims for UNIVERSAL CREDIT (working-age only)

Gosport is now a Universal Credit (UC) Full Service area. If you are applying for, or already getting UC, you should receive a 'Housing Element' payment for your rent which will be included in your UC payment. You will not be able to claim Housing Benefit unless you fall in to one of the categories below (see claims for Housing Benefit).

To make a claim for Universal Credit, please go to

Find out more on our Universal Credit page.


Universal Credit does not replace Council Tax Support, so if you need help towards the cost of your Council Tax, make sure you claim help from the Council as soon as possible. Please refer to the section below 'To make a claim online'.


There are a small number of people who will not have their housing costs paid as part of their Universal Credit, so can still claim Housing Benefit. You can claim Housing Benefit if:-

  • You have reached the qualifying age for Pension Credit (to check your state pension age please visit
  • you have been placed into temporary accommodation by our housing team; or
  • you are living in supported accommodation and receive care, support or supervision from your landlord (or other organisation on your landlords' behalf)

If you have any questions about the accommodation you are in and are unsure which benefit to claim, please ask the Benefit Team for further advice before claiming UC.

To MAKE A CLAIM online

To make a claim for Local Council Tax Support (or Housing Benefit  if you fall in to one of the categories above) you will need to complete an outline application form.


Are you already claiming Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support and want to tell us about a change in your circumstances ?

Tell us ONLINE and ON TIME!

Complete the online change of circumstance form AND attach any documents to evidence your change here

Where any additional information is needed to process your claim, we will contact you to tell you about this. We will contact you by telephone, text, email or by letter.

Here are some examples of changes that may affect the amount of benefit you are entitled to:-

  • you start or leave a job;
  • any of your children leave school or leave home;
  • anyone moves into or out of your home (including lodgers and sub-tenants);
  • if you cease to be entitled to Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance;
  • your income or the income of anyone living with you, including benefits and Tax Credits, changes;
  • your capital, savings or investments change;
  • you or anyone living with you becomes a student, goes on a Youth Training Scheme, goes into hospital or a nursing home, goes into prison, or gets, changes or leaves a job;
  • your rent or your landlord changes;
  • you move address;
  • you or your partner are going to be away from home for more than a month;
  • you receive any decision from the Home Office

If you are unsure about what you need to tell us, or if need any further information regarding Housing Benefit or LCTS, please contact the Benefits Section on (023) 9254 5325. or email

For more information about electronic communications, see the Icon for pdf Benefits Directive Form [146.33KB] authorising us to do this.

Local Council Tax Support (LCTS)

Local Housing Allowance

Housing Benefit Size Criteria and The Benefit 'CAP'

Do you know someone who is claiming benefit to which they may not be entitled?

If the answer to the above question is yes, telephone this office on (023) 9254 5545 giving full details so that allegations can be investigated.  Alternatively, fill out our online form Benefit fraud.
Any information provided will be treated in the strictest confidence.