Gosport is now a 'Universal Credit Full Service' area.

This means that the majority of people who need help paying their rent, will need to make a claim for Universal Credit (UC).  This is a new benefit administered by the Department for Work and Pensions that is paid as a single monthly payment, which can include an element for Housing Costs.

You will be expected to make your UC claim online at www.gov.uk/universal-credit.

Universal Credit does not replace Council Tax Support so if you need help towards the cost of your Council Tax, make sure you claim it as soon as possible.

Please make your claim for Council Tax Support by clicking on one of the links below:-


There are a small number of people who will not have their housing costs paid as part of their UC so can claim Housing Benefit. For example:-

  • If you have been placed into temporary accommodation by our housing team;
  • If you are living in supported accommodation and receive care, support or supervision from your landlord (or other organisation on your landlords' behalf).
  • If you are responsible for three or more children.

If you have any questions about the accommodation you are in and are unsure which benefit to claim, please ask the Benefit Team for further advice before claiming UC.

If you need help filling in the claim form please refer to the Icon for pdf Housing Benefit LCTS support guide [277.71KB]. There is also a 'Help' section within the form itself.

If you do not have access to the internet at home:

  • you can access the claim form using a friend's or relative's PC and internet connection
  • you can gain access to a PC at your local library
  • you can ask your Support Worker to assist you
  • you can ask someone else to assist you
  • The form is mobile and tablet friendly. However if you experience any difficulty, there is access to a PC in the Benefit Section Reception area at the Town Hall, where an Advisor is available to help you through this process.

In each of the above cases, your claim can only be paid once all of the information that is requested of you is received. Any delay in submitting the necessary information may hold up the assessment process.

If you need any assistance with your claim, please contact the Benefit Section on 023 9254 5325

What information will I need to support my claim?

At the end of the online claim form, once this has been submitted, there will be a list of documents you need to provide to support your own claim. Where any additional information is required, we will contact you to tell you about this. We will contact you by telephone, text, email or by letter.

When completing the form however, you will need to know the following information:

  • National Insurance number for yourself (and any partner)
  • Income details for you (and any partner) - including any benefits, earnings, Tax Credits etc.
  • Bank details for you (and any partner) - including account numbers, sort codes and balances
  • How much rent you are charged
  • Your Landlord's name and address
  • Non-dependant details (if applicable) - including details of their income

To ensure your claim is processed as quickly as possible, please tell us straightaway if you will have difficulty in supplying any of the information.

If you require further information to assist you in your claim f please contact the Benefits Section on (023) 9254 5325