WHAT IS HAPPENING IN GOSPORT TO HELP HOMELESS PEOPLE?
The number of people in temporary accommodation in Gosport rises every month. This means that the homelessness support service is under considerable pressure to help a greater number of people.
In Gosport, the Council has put in place several measures to help people in temporary accommodation. These are:
- Increasing the number of allocations to those in temporary accommodation
- Increasing the number of long term private lets
- Making sure the service is efficient
- Referring those people who need extra help to specialist agencies
WHO IS THE SUPPORT SERVICE AVAILABLE TO?
The service is available to all people who have applied as homeless and the Council has agreed that it has statutory duty to provide accommodation. This includes people who are waiting for a decision about their homeless application and people living in temporary accommodation until the Council has fulfilled its legal duties.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR SUPPORT?
Housing Options Officers interview all people who apply to the Council as homeless. The officer will talk to you to find out if you need to be referred to the Homeless Support Service. It is very likely that you will need some support in at least the first temporary accommodation that you are placed in.
You can also refer yourself after being referred by the Homeless Service; for example, if it was agreed with you that the support service should be stopped and later you want the support to start again.
WHAT SUPPORT WILL I GET?
All people who are referred to the Homeless Support Service are guaranteed the following services; in fact the services in bold are usually compulsory:
An income assessment and help to claim Housing Benefit
- Help to move into accommodation where it is needed
- An explanation of your rights and duties
- Help to move on to any future accommodation where it is needed
- Help to move into permanent accommodation where there will be less or no support
- Help if rights to accommodation are changed or ended
- Help if you are harassed in the accommodation you are living in
In some cases you will also be given help if you have problems apart from being homeless. The Council and/or another organisation will give this help.