Drivers wear badges showing their individual badge number, photograph, name and expiry date of licence so that you know they are properly licensed.
Before getting a licence, drivers have to:
- Complete an application form.
- Produce their DVLA driving licence to the Licensing Officer.
- Have a criminal records check with the Disclosure and Barring Service
- Undertake a medical examination.
- Have a Driving Assessment undertaken by the Driving Standards Agency.
- Provide 2 referees
- Geography Test (local knowledge area test (Hackney Carriage only).
Licences are issued for a one-year period.